Worldbuilders is a fundraiser for Heifer International, created by Kingkiller Chronicles author Patrick Rothfuss. It is full of amazing, and you should check it out! . . .
Details on the soup recipe — and remember, never measure:
This soup works well as a chowder, but also as a dairy-free vegetarian soup. There are tons of substitutions detailed below, and almost every ingredient is optional.
- Butter / oil
- White Flour
- Liquid — milk for chowder / stock / water + wine + boullion
- Smoked salmon in oil (you’ll need the oil) / bacon (you’ll need the lard)
- Savories: onions, garlic, shallots, green onions (the white bits)
- Veggies: canned corn, potatoes, red pepper, broccoli, zucchini
- Herbs & Spices: savory, white pepper, cracked black pepper, salt, crumbled dried rosemary, paprika
- Garnish: green onions (the green bits), dill weed, grated asiago cheese
- Add-ins: green onions, black pepper, cheddar
- Sauté savories and pepper and a few potato cubes in butter and salmon oil (or sauté with bacon). Season with all your spices except for any fresh herbs. Allow a brown crust of good stuff to form on the bottom of the pan.
- Steam additional veggies to taste.
- Once onions & friends are thoroughly carmelized, add extra butter or oil to the pan and then gradually sprinkle on flour to make a roux (it should look a little like a lump of veggie dough in the pan when you’re done).
- Add liquid in installments, about a cup at a time, and as you do scrape the brown crust up off the bottom of the pan. If you’re adding dairy keep the heat low so you don’t boil or scald it. If you’re adding water bring it to a nice simmer.
- Add salmon and veggies and everything you ultimately want in your soup and stir a lot. Start seasoning to taste. Let it set awhile, ideally overnight — the flavors will get much stronger and the broth will get much thicker as it sits.
- Make biscuits.
- Serve and garnish.